Kids with pediatric cancer can quickly become tired of repeating the same activities in the same surroundings. It can feel like a daunting task to keep your child entertained, but discovering new and enjoyable activities is crucial for both you and your child. Give these fun activity ideas for kids with cancer a try!
Entertaining Activities for Kids with Cancer
- Arts and crafts: Painting, drawing, and other artistic activities are therapeutic outlets. Art allows children to tap into their imagination and channel their feelings into something tangible, which can be both empowering and healing during their challenging cancer journey.
- Music therapy: Listening to music, singing, or playing an instrument can have a positive impact on children with cancer. Music therapy serves as a form of self-expression and provides an uplifting source of entertainment while going through cancer treatment.
- Pet therapy: Spending time with therapy animals can help children feel more relaxed, reduce anxiety, and provide comfort. Playing with therapy dogs, or getting one of your own, can help your child’s mental health because of their new best friend.
- Games: Playing with toys, board games, cards, and other indoor activities can entertain pediatric cancer patients and help them socialize. Teaching them card games has the added benefit of helping pass the time during treatment.
- Storytelling: Reading books and verbal storytelling can be a soothing and enjoyable way to help children with cancer spend their time while stimulating their mind. This calming influence is particularly beneficial for children undergoing cancer treatment. Whether the stories are read or told aloud, this activity can help the child relax and feel comforted amidst their challenging circumstances.
- Nature walks: Spending time outdoors can help children feel more connected to nature. Going on walks outside and has a calming effect and gets your child with cancer much needed sunlight outside the fluorescent hospital lighting.
- Yoga: Practicing yoga can relax children with cancer, reduce stress and anxiety, and improve their overall mental and physical well-being. Incorporating yoga into your child’s routine can help them feel more relaxed and grounded while staying in shape during treatment.
- Cooking or baking: Cooking dinner and sharing meals with family and friends can provide a fun and enjoyable activity for children undergoing cancer treatment while getting them essential nutrients to keep fighting. Plus, it gives you a chance to pass on your favorite family recipe!
- Movie nights: Watching movies in the company of friends and family can help lift the spirits of a child undergoing cancer treatment when they’re feeling down. Laughter is the best medicine so try picking a lighthearted comedy to get your child to laugh themselves out of a bad mood. Movies can help your child relax and enjoy peaceful quality time with loved ones.
- Sports: Playing sports can be beneficial for children with cancer, because it helps maintain both their physical and mental well-being. Playing sports offers a sense of normalcy and social connection with friends. When children with cancer play sports as part of a team, it can serve as a reminder of the joys of life beyond the hospital walls. It provides an opportunity for children with cancer to have fun and live life to the fullest.
Pediatric cancer is challenging for both the patient and their family. Finding activities to entertain your child can help them cope with the difficult times and continue creating happy memories.
It’s important to remember that every child is unique, and what works for one child may not work for another. Ultimately, the most important thing is to provide your child with love, support, and opportunities for fun and play, even during tough times. With creativity and a positive attitude, you can help your child find joy and happiness during their cancer journey.